Thursday, January 12, 2017

The next novel is FINALLY underway!


Boy, is it hard for me to get started on a new book. I launched Irregular Lives: The UntoldStory of Sherlock Holmes and Baker Street Irregulars in December -- although the audiobook version has yet to begin production. But, I needed to get on to something new.

For me a new book begins with a strong feeling, because, in the end, readers want a safe emotional experience. Feelings and emotion are the foundation for any story, so that’s where a writer needs to begin.

Recently, what touched my heart is the power and strength of women, and what they bring to the world. For example, Sara Rose is marching in San Diego on January 21, like millions of other women in the U.S. It is looking like 2017 is shaping up to be “the year of the woman.” I hope so, because our world desperately needs more powerful feminine energy.

Now it’s up to me to transmute this feeling into a story -- a new novel?

Sherlock Holmes - The Golden Years had a sub-theme of eugenics in its many forms. Irregular Lives is constructed around the exploitation of the poor, and the widening gap between the rich and the poor around the world.

My new novel, is just twenty pages long and is not fully outlined, but one thing is clear: My next Sherlock Holmes story will have a “sub-theme” around the exploitation and repression of women in our patriarchal world.

This is going to be an interesting personal journey from me, being a male of the species, but I’m looking forward to the challenge. I trust I will do the subject justice. We’ll all find out about ten months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment